When and how the Liberty bridge was built?
The Liberty bridge: also called freedom bridge, because set the venetians free from the obligation to use a boat to get to the mainland.
In fact, up to the ’30 when Mussolini ordered to build a bridge to connect Venice with mainland, actually Mestre, the citizens of Venice were obligated to catch a boat to reach the mainland and for the poor people was expensive, so, many venitians was born and died in venice with no chances to see anything else than Venice.
In 1929, thanks to the engineer Vittorio Umberto Fantucci, the project was born which, carefully reviewed and modified by the engineer Eugenio Miozzi, will be realized in 1931.
The main architect of the bridge writes, Eugenio Miozzi, chief engineer of the city of Venice:
On July 27, 1931, work began on the road connection to the mainland and was completed on April 25, 1933, after only twenty-one months.
It was a great work: the bridge crossing the lagoon, in fact, measures four kilometers in length and is twenty meters wide; another four kilometers of road were built on the marshy land of the salt marshes to reach the village of Mestre
The said bridge remained the longest bridge in the world [currently is the longest in Italy] and required three hundred kilometers of stilts, forty thousand cubic meters of concrete, twenty thousand cubic meters of bricks, forty-five thousand tons of cut stone; so much so that the Podestà Alverà, in the inauguration ceremony, could say that this was the most grandiose work accomplished after the fall of the Republic and that he could stand on par with the construction of the famous Murazzi.
Together with the creation of the bridge, the urban layout of the internal road network was provided, creating the Rio Novo, which shortens the route to Piazza San Marco by more than two kilometers; it provided for the construction of the largest garage in the world, which still retains this record; and provided for the numerous ancillary works of the new traffic .
At the inauguration, which took place in the year XI of the Fascist era, the translagunar bridge was called ponte del Littorio.
Liberty bridge opening in 1933
In 1945, once that short era had passed, it was renamed the Liberty Bridge.
The two parallel translagunar bridges, the railway and the automobile, represent today the entrance gates of Venice, by far the most frequented.
However, as Thomas Mann writes in Death in Venice, the service doors remain, since the main entrance is always the admirably sumptuous one of the San Marco Basin.